Sunday 22 March 2009

Gower Peninsula: Rhossili in March

After my visit to Port Eynon, a few days ago, I decided to venture further along the Gower Peninsula, to Rhossili. It was almost as hazy at Rhossili, as it had been at Port Eynon.

My main reason for heading to Rhossili, was to get some close shots of the Old Rectory. Alas, as on every other occasion I've tried to get such shots, the area close to the Rectory was overrun with cattle. I could see some walkers in the distance, who passed the cows without incident.


As I edged further along the path towards the Rectory, I decided not to risk passing the cows, as I had my little dog with me, and didn't know how he and the cows would react to one another. Cows can sometimes behave aggressively to dogs and their owners, so it was a risk I wasn't prepared to take.


I headed back uphill, passing this old building. For some reason, I had it fixed in my head that it's an old woollen mill, but further research suggests it's the old rocket shed, used by the Rhossili rocket crew, the forerunners of the present-day coastguard. If you're interested in shipwrecks around the Gower coast, I suggest you visit Chris Elphick's excellent Welcome to Gower site. He has numerous articles about the various shipwrecks and their visible remains, around the Gower coast.


Passing a hedgerow, I managed to snap a shot of a male house sparrow, who seemed blissfully unaware of my presence.


I'll end this post with a shot of my little Shih Apso (Shih Tzu-Lhasa Apso hybrid), Jake, enjoying the view across Rhossili Bay.


If you haven't visited the Gower Peninsula yet, add it to your to-do list. You won't regret it!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Admitedly I've never been accompanied by a dog but I've never known cows to be anything but charming creatures.
http://www.welcometogower.co.uk/search/label/Cows
:o)

Siani said...

Thanks, Chris. I find cows to be mostly harmless - although a little scary-looking. I know, from my days growing up in the Carmarthenshire countryside, that cows don't like dogs, and will sometimes attack them. They can also be aggressive when they have calves. Never, ever get between a cow and her calf, or she'll have you!

Dylan said...

I've just visited Rhossili with my beautiful collie-cross, Skip. What an absolutely stunning beach that is. Re. cows and dogs. After a close shave in a field in Suffolk, I would never walk my dog near cows again. I am quoted in this article about the woman who was killed: http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/42954

Siani said...

Dylan, that's an absolutely nightmarish incident. I grew up in the countryside, and have always been aware, since childhood, of the dangers of taking dogs anywhere near cattle. Cows are at their most dangerous when they have calves. If anyone or anything gets between a cow and her calf, she will almost certainly go into attack mode.

I'm glad you and Skip enjoyed Rhossili - it's one of my favourite places ever. I sometimes forget how lucky I am to live just 40 minutes or so away from such a beautiful place.

Post a Comment